Gold Country Welcome Club Bylaws
The name of this organization shall be the GOLD COUNTRY WELCOME CLUB (Club).
Article II-Purpose of the Club
The purpose of the Club is to provide: special events and activities of interest, opportunities to meet other members, and support for local charitable organizations.
Section 1 Eligibility
A. Membership is open to all residents of Nevada County, aged 21 and over. Membership entitles one person to participate in Club Special Events and Activity Groups.
B. Membership in good standing
1. Only members whose dues are paid are considered to be in good standing.
2. Participation in Activity Groups is open only to members.
The Club shall not discriminate against either prospective or current members because of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, income status, marital status, sexual orientation, educational background, or any other government mandated group or status of persons.
Membership shall be rescinded if it comes to the attention of the Executive Board (Board), and an investigation proves that a member does not meet eligibility requirements for membership.
Section 2 Annual
A. The fiscal year shall run from June 1 through the following May 31.
B. The membership annual dues shall be determined by the Board. The justification for any change in the annual dues shall be presented to the membership at a general meeting or Special Event and published on the Club website.
C. The annual membership period shall run from January 1 through December 31.
D. Members who have not paid their dues by January 31 shall be dropped from membership.
E. New members joining throughout the membership year shall be billed on a pro-rata basis as determined by the Board.
Section 3 Communication
The Membership shall be notified by e-mail or other appropriate electronic means of new postings on the Club website of items of interest (e.g. upcoming Special Events, new Activity groups, Board elections, and revisions to the By-Laws).
Article IV-Executive Board Offices
Section 1 Officer Titles
The titles of the officers and co-officers, which shall constitute the Board, are:
2. Co-Directors of Special Events
4. Director of Activities
5. Director of Communication
6. Director of Membership
Section 2 Terms of Officers
A. The term of officers shall coincide with the fiscal year.
B. The Co-Presidents, Co-Directors of Special Events, and Co-Treasurers shall each be elected for a two-year term. One Co-President, one Co-Director of Special Events, and one Co-Treasurer shall be elected each year to support staggered terms. These positions are limited to two consecutive terms or four years.
C. All other officers are elected to serve one-year terms. These officers may be elected to serve in the same capacity for up to four consecutive terms in the same position.
Section 3 Duties of the Officers and Voting Guidelines
1. The elected officers of the Club shall constitute the Board and are specifically charged with operating the business and social affairs of the Club.
2. The Board shall have general supervision of the affairs of the Club, set the hour and place of meetings and general membership Special Events, and make recommendations to the Club as a whole.
3. Duties for each Board position are outlined in the “Job Description” and are attached hereto as Appendix A.
B. Voting Guidelines
1. In matters which require a vote of the Board, each elected officer will have one vote for a total of ten votes.
2. In order to conduct the business of the Club, and for the intent of this instruction, a quorum is considered to be a minimum of six officers present.
3. In addition, a majority of the quorum is needed to pass any votes before the Board. Voting may be by a show of hands. If a quorum cannot be met, voting will be postponed until the next meeting. Only Board members physically present may vote.
4. Any member may participate in Board meetings at any time, but they may not vote.
Section 4 Election of Officers
A. The Director of Membership shall chair a Nominating Committee.
B. The Nominating Committee shall present its proposed slate of officers to the membership on the Club website after April 1 and no later than April 15. Any member wishing to make a volunteer nomination to the Director of Membership must do so in writing no later than April 30.
C. The general membership shall elect its officers by casting a vote on line or by mail during the first two weeks of May. The nominee with the most votes shall be considered the winning candidate.
Section 5 Vacancy
A vacancy in any office may be filled by appointment of the Board.
Article V- Special Events/Meetings
Section 1 Special Events
General membership Special Events shall be held no less than four times per year.
Section 2 Guests
A non-member may attend any Special Event, at the invitation of a member. A non-member is allowed to attend a maximum of two Special Events.
Section 3 General Membership Meetings
General Membership Meetings shall be held at least once a year in conjunction with a Special Event.
Section 4 Executive Board Meetings
Executive Board meetings will normally be held on a monthly basis. Special Board meetings may be held as necessary.
Article VI-Ad Hoc Committees
A. Ad hoc committees may be appointed by a Co-President and shall serve for a specified period of time. The work of the committees is subject to the approval of the Board.
B. An auditing committee of at least two members shall be appointed by a Co-President on an annual basis. The auditing committee’s duty shall be to audit the Co-Treasurers’ accounts at the close of the fiscal year and present the report to the Board for dissemination to the membership no later than October 1 each year.
Article VII-Activity Groups
Section 1 Eligibility
The members of any Activity Group must be members in good standing of the Club.
Section 2 Self Supporting
All Activity Groups must be self-supporting.
Section 3 Activity Group Leaders
All Activity Group leaders will register their group annually with the Director of Activities.
Section 4 Formation on an Activity Group
Any member may form an Activity Group by coordinating with the Director of Activities and subject to the approval of the Board.
Article VIII-Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Club in all cases where they are applicable.
Article IX-Amendments to the By-Laws
Section 1 Amendment Procedures
A. Two months prior to the vote, the text of any proposed amendment shall be published on the Club website.
1. Members may submit to the Club website any pros and cons regarding the proposed amendment.
2. Members may use the Club website as a forum to discuss with other members the proposed amendments.
B. One month prior to the vote, the Board will publish on the Club website:
1. A synopsis of any pros and cons submitted and a summary of any changes made to the proposed amendment.
2. The final version of the proposed amendment to be voted upon.
C. Provided the above Amendment Procedures have been met, the Board will send a E-mail ballot to all members who are in good standing, allowing 15 days for them to make their choices.
D. The By-Laws may be amended by an affirmative vote of two-thirds of all members voting.
E. The Co-Presidents or their delegated representative shall tally all verifiable ballots submitted by E-mail